【WFP】 Charity Essay Contest 2020
A. Case Study Overview
- 1. Activity/ Project Title:
- WFP Charity Essay Contest 2020
- 2. Themes:
- SDGs, Others： Food, hunger
- 3. Summary:
The theme of the contest is eating, and we are looking for a wide variety of entries from people all over Japan, from elementary school students to adults.With the cooperation of supporting companies, one school lunch (30 JPY) will be donated for each entry, to be used to support the UN WFP’s school lunch program.
- 4. Sector:
- Organization ： Japan Association for the World Food Programme
- 5. Implementation Period:
July 2020–October 2020
- 6. Project Site :
- 7. Stakeholders＆Partners:
WFP Japan Office; Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan; Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries; Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology; National Federation of Prefectural Boards of Education, Japan Federation of Primary School Principals Association, All Japan Junior High School Principals’ Association, Asahi Shimbun Company, Mainichi Newspapers Co., Ltd., Yomiuri Shimbun, Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Kanagawa Shimbun, Tokyo Shimbun, NHK
- 8. Objectives:
- By having people submit entries, we hope to raise international awareness of the reality that one in five children in the world is chronically undernourished and of the need to improve nutrition, while also increasing recognition of the activities of the United Nations World Food Programme.
- 9. /Activities:
Efforts to improve nutrition contribute to the fulfilling 12 of the 17 SDGs, and the UN WFP is committed to supporting this effort.* WFP Charity Essay Contest website
D. Challenges and solutions:
- 10. Challenges and solutions:
There were fewer entries in the elementary school and over-18s categories than in the junior high school / high school category.
There are many companies that agree with the goals of the event, but how can we increase the number of companies providing support?
E. Outcomes and Impacts:
- 11. Outcomes＆Impacts:
The total number of applications has been increasing every year, and awareness of the WFP among young people has been growing.
<Total number of applications: 22,905>
・Elementary school category: 1,607
・Junior high school / high school category: 20,287
・Over-18s category: 1,011
<Total amount of donations generated by applications: 2,061,450 JPY>
(Donations from the three cooperating companies)
- 12. Budget:
- 13. Source:
- Sponsorship, donation income, and organizer contributions