Final disposal site
A. Case Study Overview
- 1. Activity/ Project Title:
- Final disposal site
- 2. Themes:
- 3. Summary:
Combustible waste from homes is incinerated at incineration plants. The ash from this incineration is buried in a final disposal site.
The Minami-honmoku Block No. 5 Waste Final Disposal Site is the sole final disposal site for general waste in Yokohama. The city introduces its structure, burial method, wastewater treatment, and other aspects.
- 4. Sector:
- City ： Yokohama Resources and Waste Recycling Bureau
- 5. Implementation Period:
Since October 2017 –
- 6. Project Site :
- The city of Yokohama
- 7. Stakeholders＆Partners:
- 8. Objectives:
- To reduce environmental burden, and to make effective use and ensure supplies of resources and energy
- 9. /Activities:
In Yokohama, general waste and industrial waste are buried at a final disposal site located at the Minami-honmoku Pier.
In October 2017, the city opened the No. 5 Block Final Disposal Site as an additional final disposal site.
The city is striving for environmental preservation so that the site does not exert an adverse influence on the surrounding environment. For example, the site (including areas that are completely filled) is installed with wastewater treatment facilities to treat any leachate derived, and environmental surveys are regularly made for items including water quality and soil.
D. Challenges and solutions:
- 10. Challenges and solutions:
To make better use of the No. 5 Block Final Disposal Site, which is the only final disposal site for general waste in Yokohama, and pass it on to the next generation, we are trying to extend its service life by reducing waste disposal quantities and transforming incineration ash into a resource.
E. Outcomes and Impacts:
- 11. Outcomes＆Impacts:
Overview of the final disposal site
- ・Burial area 164,000 square meters
- ・Planned burial capacity 4,000,000 cubic meters
- ・Burial period Beginning in October 2017
- ・FY2019 burial quantity 137,269 t
- 12. Budget:
Total project cost: about 60 billion JPY
- 13. Source:
- General revenue, national expenditures, and other sources