【JICA】Provision of food for Yokohama’s host country of the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics
A. Case Study Overview
- 1. Activity/ Project Title:
- 【JICA Yokohama】 Provision of food for Yokohama's host country of the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics
- 2. Themes:
- 3. Summary:
Yokohama is the host town for nine countries of the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.
This is an international exchange program that provides opportunities to experience the world through food by serving food from six of these countries (Republic of Tunisia, Republic of Benin, Republic of Botswana, Republic of Cote d’Ivoire, Kingdom of Morocco, and Democratic People’s Republic of Algeria) at JICA Yokohama Port Terrace Cafe.
- 4. Sector:
- Organization ： JICA Yokohama
- 5. Implementation Period:
Since 19th July 2021 ～ 29th August
- 6. Project Site :
- Port terrace café, 3F, JICA Yokohama
- 7. Stakeholders＆Partners:
- Yokohama City International Affairs Bureau
- 8. Objectives:
- As the host town for the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, we will provide many people with opportunities to experience the world (especially six of the nine host countries) through food.
- 9. /Activities:
- Week 1 (July 19-25)
Couscous with fish and tomato sauce (Kosksi Bilhut), Republic of Tunisia
- Week 2 (July 26 – August 1)
Republic of Benin “Sauce Gombo” (shrimp and okra in sauce)
- Week 3 (Aug. 2-8)
Republic of Botswana “Seswa” (stewed beef), “Spinach with Groundnuts” (fried spinach and peanuts)
- Week 4 (Aug. 9-15)
Republic of Cote d’Ivoire “Sauce Claire” (Pot-au-feu with beef and summer vegetables)
- Week 5 (Aug. 16-22)
Kebab” (grilled chicken skewers), Kingdom of Morocco
- Week 6 (Aug. 23-29)
Sitte Taha Jeji” (Stewed chicken and chickpeas), Democratic People’s Republic of Algeria
- Week 1 (July 19-25)
D. Challenges and solutions:
- 10. Challenges and solutions:
Although it was a challenge to provide meals under the declared state of emergency, we took all possible measures to prevent infection so that visitors could enjoy their meals with peace of mind.
E. Outcomes and Impacts:
- 11. Outcomes＆Impacts:
- About 20% of the total number of visitors to the Port Terrace Cafe ordered host town country cuisine.
- We were able to convey the host town country to the visitors through food culture.
- The JICA Yokohama Facebook page has been liked and shared by people in Japan and abroad. and articles were shared. (Average about 23 likes!)
- 12. Budget:
- 13. Source: