Stairway officer program in the Kachida housing complex
A. Case Study Overview
- 1. 事業名/ Activity/ Project Title:
- Stairway officer program in the Kachida housing complex
- 2. テーマ/Themes:
- Others： Local autonomy
- 3. 要旨/Summary:
Through this program, the residents of the Kachida housing complex look after and support each other.
The buildings in the complex each contain two households on each floor and consist of five floors, for a total of 10 resident households. The program is based on the organization of groups in units of stairways to provide the foundation for self-governing activities in the area of the complex.
- 4. セクター/Sector:
- Others ： Local resident
- 5. 実施期間/Implementation Period:
- Since 1969 -
- 6. 実施場所/Project Site :
- The grounds of the Kachida housing complex
- 7. 関係機関/Stakeholders＆Partners:
- The Kachida residents’ association
- 8. 目的/Objectives:
- The very existence of the stairway officers helps to breed an atmosphere of warmth in the complex. In addition, in the event of disaster, the system makes it possible to swiftly confirm the safety of residents in the 1,534 households in the complex.
- 9. 活動プロセス/Activities:
The stairway officers perform tasks such as the collection of dues for the residents’ association, management of circular notices, distribution of printed matter, and cleaning of public space (stairways etc.). Because there is a yearly alternation of the leaders, all of the residents are given the opportunity to show concern and interest in local self-government, and participate in the same.
- The 10 households using the same stairway in a building in the complex constitute a single group, and elect the group leader (stairway officer). (A new leader is elected once a year).
- Besides supporting the activities of the residents’ association and neighborhood association, in the disaster safety confirmation drills held twice a year, the stairway officers confirm the safety of the 10 households in their respective buildings, and report the results to the head of the residents’ association.
D. Challenges and solutions:
- 10. 課題/Challenges and solutions:
The Kachida complex is a huge collective housing complex that is home to 1,534 households in a total of 42 buildings. A high percentage (45.1 percent as of March 31, 2019) of the residents are aged. The activities whereby the residents look after and support each other play an important role.
The stairway officers make sure not to miss signs such as the absence of certain residents or the failure to retrieve letters and newspapers from mailboxes. The system also enables them to take action in coordination with the residents’ association head, district welfare officers, and municipal authorities.
E. Outcomes and Impacts:
The cooperation between the stairway officers and residents’ association in the disaster safety confirmation drills held twice a year makes it possible to confirm the safety of all members of the 1,534 resident households in less than one hour.
- 12. 予算/Budget:
- 13. 財源/Source: