Virtual Learning Tour on storm and flood disasters by Yokohama Disaster Risk Reduction Learning Center
A. Case Study Overview
- 1. Activity/ Project Title:
- Virtual Learning Tour on storm and flood disasters by Yokohama Disaster Risk Reduction Learning Center
- 2. Themes:
- 3. Summary:
In recent years, storm and flood damages caused by heavy rains and typhoons have significantly increased. The Yokohama Disaster Risk Reduction Learning Center has been offering “Learning Tour on storm and flood disaster” since September 2020 aiming to achieve “Zero Delay in Evacuating” from such disasters.
- 4. Sector:
- City ： Yokohama City Fire Bureau
- 5. Implementation Period:
Since September 2020 ～
- 6. Project Site :
- Yokohama Disaster Risk Reduction Learning Center
- 7. Stakeholders＆Partners:
- 8. Objectives:
- Develop awareness on crisis prevention regarding storm and flood disasters, and learn the importance of self-help and mutual aid.
- 9. /Activities:
The concept of “self-help,” in which people think and act on their own, has been very important during the storm and flood disasters, such as heavy rains and typhoons which have caused significant damages over recent years.
In this tour, participants will learn about the actual necessary actions through videos and create a “My Time Line” to write down the necessary actions that needs to be taken before during and after disasters in chronological order.
In addition, augmented reality (AR) is also incorporated to provide experiences that superimpose digital information on real scenery since April 2021.
D. Challenges and solutions:
- 10. Challenges and solutions:
More contents will be added in the future to enhance the tour to allow visitors to experience the threat of storm and flood disasters.
E. Outcomes and Impacts:
- 11. Outcomes＆Impacts:
In the fiscal 2021, 589 people experienced the program. Some of the feedback from the participants were as follows:
“By writing down the specific actions, I was able to visualize the actions that I should take in case of a disaster.”
“I thought of making time to discuss with my family.”
- 12. Budget:
- 13. Source: