Yokohama municipal high schools – Assurance of learning – Distribution of instructional motion videos
A. Case Study Overview
- 1. Activity/ Project Title:
- Yokohama municipal high schools – Assurance of learning – Distribution of instructional motion videos
- 2. Themes:
- 3. Summary:
While all instruction was discontinued at municipal schools, the Yokohama Board of Education secretariat distributed motion videos for learning. The secretariat led the production of uniform motion videos, in each grade and subject, for all elementary, middle, and special education schools. All 10 municipal high schools and the two middle schools affiliated with municipal high schools in Yokohama produced their own videos for their own students.
- 4. Sector:
- City ： Yokohama Board of Education Secretariat
- 5. Implementation Period:
Since April 2020 to May 2020
- 6. Project Site :
- Municipal high schools in Yokohama and middle schools affiliated with municipal high schools
- 7. Stakeholders＆Partners:
- 8. Objectives:
- To ensure that students can lead a well-regulated life and remain in the habit of studying during the period of temporary discontinuation of all classes.
- 9. /Activities:
Each school prepared and distributed instructional and other motion videos for their own students. For distribution, they used the e-learning system of the secretariat of the Yokohama Board of Education. While some of the motion videos were in the form of lectures that followed the textbook, others described types of approaches to issues, and yet others contained messages from teachers to newly entering students. They totaled about 1,600 for the total of 12 schools.
D. Challenges and solutions:
- 10. Challenges and solutions:
Conditioning of the information & communications technology (ICT) environment including systems enabling interactive communication and live distribution is an urgent task. In response to the national Global and Innovation Gateway for All (GIGA) School Vision, Yokohama devised its GIGA School Vision in Yokohama program*, and is planning to promote the related environmental conditioning.
*About GIGA School Vision in Yokohama(JP only)
E. Outcomes and Impacts:
- 11. Outcomes＆Impacts:
Results of a questionnaire with schools and students
(1) For school staff
1) Were the learning motion videos effective for ensuring learning during the discontinuation of classes?
- They ensured learning at home by students and assisted this learning.
- They were effective as a means of making up for the delayed classroom instruction.
- In the aspect of knowledge acquisition, they were able to convey knowledge even more efficiently than classroom lectures.
- There was in-depth instruction at the start of the lecture on items such as how to take notes and to prepare for lectures.
2) What will be required in the event of another temporary discontinuation of classes in the future?
- A system enabling interactive communication
- Conditioning of the ICT environment (e.g., circuits, printers, and tablets)
- Conditioning of the environment for uploading motion videos
- Improvement of teacher skills and training to this end
(2) For students1) Did you watch the motion videos?
All schools…All elementary schools, middle schools, special education schools, and high schools
2) Opinion of the learning motion videos
Not very good
3) Watching frequency
About 2 – 3 times a week
About once a week
About once every 2 weeks
About once a month
4) Helpful points
Got in the habit of learning
Linked to a well-regulated life
Acquired a better understanding due to clear explanations of key points in learning
Was able to learn in correspondence with the tasks assigned by the school
Made up for delayed learning and lessened worries about falling behind
- I felt peace of mind in having the teacher nearby.
- I could go back and check things. This was particularly helpful in subjects such as mathematics.
- I could watch the videos over and over again to review material for myself.
- 12. Budget:
- 13. Source: